Tuesday, August 9, 2011

History in place






First off, I think I got distracted by the concept of the balcony. I really just wanted to showcase the people that walked the hallways in the mattress factory. Second, the different fabrics looked visually better than plain white but yeah they aren't from a mattress. I thought that it would work because of the many different textiles and material that F.S. Harmon made. If I would do this again I would probably take out the balcony all together and have some sort representation of the workers in the mattress storehouse. I could also have the feet floating across. Again, I really struggled with this project because it is all in a certain context. The average person would not relate to a historical project unless there is a sign that showcased it. I almost wanted to put up a newspaper article about the Harmon company or even my paper to give the context. It seems like a balancing act. If you give too much information, the piece is too complex but not enough and there are just footprints on the floor.

I did impress one of the workers at the cashiers office. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment